Thursday, September 10, 2009

Style for thought

I stumbled across an interesting rant the other day over at Imogen's spot where the topic of discussion was on an all to common conundrum for women about why we let ourselves go. In my reading, I began to ponder one of the questions that was posed on whether it's right for a woman (or person) to be labeled as vain or self centered just because they choose to take pride in their personal image.

I felt it worthy to expound on this question because all too often I think people sometimes label me on this same basis. I think honing in on one's self image is not vanity but merely a nonverbal form of communication one makes in expressing the love, care and respect they have for themselves. This is a viewpoint I can embrace and use to my advantage and it's not for vanity's sake or because I'm self centered. I merely use it as a tool in boosting not only my self confidence and self esteem but my happy quotient as well. Just the mere task of getting my hair done or wearing a killer ensemble can uplift my spirits to exponential levels, which greatly impacts my interactions with everyone around me in a positive way.
Ok, so even though I live in the suburbs and I'm a full time wife, mother and working woman; your wondering why go through all the rigmarole when I should have more important things to focus on than my appearance. That may be true but I can't ignore the fact that "I" matter just as much as every other thing and person in my life. I feel showcasing that fact through having a tailored self image and a couture personal style is something to be celebrated not shunned. So maybe in that regard, I am a little self centered because I choose to live a life where precious time and effort is spent in catering to my self image and how I'm presented to the world. But if I'm wrong in my tactics and so called self involved mindset...then believe me I don't want to be right.

This message has been brought to
you by Mme. Closeture and is clothes captioned for the stylish impaired.
Weardrobe details: retro floral dress, B-Squared/ 80's inspired earrings, thrift/shoes, Kenneth Cole/belt, Claire's

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hang a comment in my closet.