Friday, September 11, 2009

Til I'm black and blue

Today is Friday, FINalLy and with Friday that means casual wear (meaning jeans for me) but unfortunately I couldn't indulge because of an important meeting I had to attend. Decided on an ensemble that paired together two colors that as of late most style guru's find acceptable in thy sight but I just never debuted it as a color palette within my own weardrobe until now.
It's funny how some style aesthetics aren't acceptable until a treaty has been passed by the industry experts and everyone is given a right of passage. In my social circles, long ago pairing solid black and solid blue together was a no-no as was the well known "can't wear white after labor day". It seems that as I've gotten older...um, um, I'm sorry...as I've matured over the years so has my viewpoint on fashion and style and what's acceptable and what's not. To many times we try and dress to please others around us just so we'll fit in or meet standards of what society deems as sociably acceptable. The other day I overheard a comment being made to a woman on the fact that she was committing a fashion faux pas because she was wearing a white shirt and it was the first day after labor day. Of course feeling very assured of herself she quickly corrected the comment in a matter of fact tone by stating that the actual rule is you can't wear white pants and white shoes after labor day. It took every inch of me not to say anything but in my mind I wanted to ask who says it's a rule and why do we follow it if we're free thinkers of the free world. But I felt that was a little too deep and philosophical and besides I too once followed those same rules until I opened my eyes and became like other free-thinking expressionist. My rebellious attitude now is that I wear what I want and when I want as long as it makes me look good and feel good and this I'll preach til I'm black and blue.

weardrobe details:black shirt, Simply Vera/blue pants,ExPress/shoes, Kenneth Cole

This message has been brought to you by Mme. Closeture and is clothes captioned for the stylish impaired.

2 comments:

  1. Willow In Miami11/03/2009 05:46:00 PM

    I certainly feel you on the black and blue combo, but can appreciate your courage and style for pulling it off with style. I definitely noticed the shoes and wished you had told your little secret of where you got em and how much you paid for them. Style is about color and contrast, but I believe it is also about taking chances and turning heads saying "girl you look great".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the black and blue. Recently I got hooked on brown and blue. It feels good to step outside of the box and take some risks. It's funny how we can get stuck in old rules about fashion. But, it's like an old record player in our heads. I am happy that some of the former classic pieces are re-surfacing. I especially love to see ladies in dresses. I think it just brings out our feminity, grace, sex appeal and confidence.

    ReplyDelete

Hang a comment in my closet.